Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Easy Trellis



































I am taking a break from gardening this Saturday so I can add a trellis to my outdoor patio area. The goal is to create an outdoor living space that is inviting even when its 100 degrees outside (good luck). As it stands now its pretty boring.









The first step was to go to the lumber yard and pick up 4 cedar pickets. I prefer to work with cedar when possible because it ages well and has a nice smell. Then its on to the table saw for some quick ripping.





Now comes the challenging part. I could just to the easy route and place the slats perpendicular but I like the way the 45 degree angle looks.



Once the first run is in place and I come to the corner I realize that its not going to lay out perfectly because my total height is 6'7". Oh well, I pressed on anyway using the distance in between each slat as a guide as opposed to 1' increments along the edge.


Were I had slats that didn't reach all the way across I just started from both ends and connected in the middle. The brick wall is about 1" out of plumb (really...1") so the trellis looks a little off but once the vines get around it you will not be able to tell.



With some Confederate Jasmine trained up the trellis things are starting to look right.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! Greenery on the porch can do nothing but help.

    ReplyDelete