Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Kimberly Acres Part 3

















The plots are looking great. This is my favorite part of the whole process....transplantation time! Its nice to see that about 75% of all my seeds have germinated and are looking good. Its amazing what time, patience and H2O will do. The photo above is a homemade crate built to the specific dimensions of the newspaper pots I made. It allows me to move a large number of seeds quickly if inclement weather turns our way. You can see the Black Eyed Susan flowers popping up. Last year I had a hard time getting my tomato's to produce so this is my solution to bring in the pollinators...hopefully not to many.


All the plants have made their move from the protected pot to the open garden nicely and I do not have any stragglers...except my blueberry bush. It seems my blueberry plant needs more sun. Since I placed it in the shade plot (south plot) I have not seen any sign of life. I will give it a little more time before I pull it.


It was nice to have my little seedling to help transplant some of the seedlings. I let him transplant his favorite ...carrots. The raised bed is just the right height for him to explore and critique my work. I just have to keep him from nibbling on the dirt...oh well a little earth never hurt anyone...right?

My next entry we should start to see some buds then some fruits of our labor.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget the earth worms. They keep the nutrient cycle in-sync. The more dirt Cash eats the better his immune system is. If you don't stake your Maters they'll be all over the ground. . . . but that's OK too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your sweet corn plants are to strung out, i.e. not in a square block, the ears will look like a snaggle toothed redneck. You can curtail this by taking pollen from the tassels in a long-tall bag and sprinkling that fine yellow pollen powder over the silks of the females for a more complete pollinization.

    ReplyDelete