Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Kimberly Acres Part 2


I spent many hours pouring over the weather forecast in the Farmers Almanac and decided the chance of frost was small so it was time to make my move to start to transplant some of my now small plants from seeds into their summer home. I started with the most mature plants which were the zucchini, green beans, and 7 different herbs.

I constructed the boxes a few weeks ago out of 2x6 pine. The materials for each 3'x12' box was only $17 start to finish. The way they were constructed they will last at least 5 years before the rot will take over. I loaded the soil into my pickup from an organic dirt yard down the street for $40 bucks a yard. With some slight amendments each season this will be able to used for years to come.


Next I will start to transplant all the tomatos, vinage (grapes, blueberries, rasberries, blackberries) and construct my trellises for each one.....I can just taste those fried green tomatos now!

1 comment: