Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Homeless Hutch Part 2


As with any project I must find the time to just get started if we ever want to get it done. This time came for me when I had help to move the homeless hutch into the workshop. This help came in the way of my Dad who was visiting from out of town. I am sure when he woke up that morning he didn't think he would be moving furniture but I bartered a plate of chicken tamales at the world famous "Blue Goose" for his help.

My first step was to get the rid of the old clear finish on the top. This was accomplished with two coats of spray on stripper. I had never used the spray on stripper before but it worked well and enabled me to keep a nice clean spray pattern. I did find that it was important to spray a good thick coat on the surface to ensure a good bite. Once the formula had time to sit for a half hour or so it was ready to be removed with a bit of elbow grease. I took my time here because I did not want to gouge the top and cause myself more sanding work.

Next I removed the sticker backing from be back of the upper portion as well as on the doors. This came off rather easy along with the tiny staples which held it in place.

Now it was time to get down to bare wood with 60 grit sandpaper on a belt sander. Since the wood was in good shape this took about 30 minutes before I switched to 120 grit paper to start to level things out. This took another 30 minutes.

Now it was time to wipe it down and apply the stain. I prefer to use a foam brush because it levels out the application of the stain and doesn't leave blotches. Once it had time to dry for a bit I wiped it down with a rag and the grain shown through nicely. I sanded with 120 grit for a bit more and applied a second coat of stain. Once it was dry I applied two coat of polyurethane sealer.

In the next chapter I will reveal the finishing touches.......

No comments:

Post a Comment